Sunday, October 26, 2008

Songs to Obsess Over, Case file #1: Chairlift- "Bruises"

Ok, Apple. You win this round. I cannot for the life of me get "Bruises" by Chairlift out of my head.

 

Despite it's iPod hock-ability, "Bruises" is one of the best indie-pop tunes I have heard ALL YEAR. No, I am not exaggerating. Although I didn't care for the commerical "edit" the first few times around, the full length is a giddy pop tune that is unbelieveably cute on the surface, but still surprisingly substantive. Caroline Polacheck's lithe voice hops atop a danceable beat...and couldn't be more perfect for this song. A quirky love song, "Bruises" captures a snapshot so vividly it tells an entire story

Regardless, any song that cries the lines "Got bruises on my knees for you/ Got grass stains on my knees for you/ Got holes in my new jeans for you" is pretty alright by me. Kinda reminds me of someone I used to know (that person being me).

The tune is lifted from the recently released Does You Inspire You (Kanine Records) and the group is currently on the road with 2007 big buzzers Yeasayer.

I gota say though, good as it is, the song still doesn't make me want one of the new iPod Nanos. So I guess I'm the real winner here.

No comments: