Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Metric System

 
Making math cool: Metric | Photo courtesy Big Hassle Media
Oh, Metric, how I love thee. Although their new album, Fantasies, is certainly far more slick than anything else they have done to-date, it also boasts some of the group's best tunes. From the first chance I had to hear "Satellite Mind", "Gimme Sympathy" and "Stadium Love", I've been addicted. I've danced. I've cleaned. I've vacuumed. I've driven. I've partied. I've cooked. I've written. I've sewn. I've duct taped. I've rocked out Fantasies for all of it. 

And it seems that I'm not alone.  2009 just might be Metric's year. The disc just hit stores this past Tuesday, but it's already sitting pretty atop the Billboard Heatseksers chart, the result of an early iTunes feeding frenzy. This milestone is nothing to scoff at, especially when considering that the album is released independently via the band's own MMI label. Keep your eyes on this band. They're paving their own road, and seem to be on the right track.

I recently had the chance to interview Metric's leading lady (and one of my total heroes) Emily Haines for a feature over at SSv. I'm a fan of not just her work with Metric, but with Broken Social Scene and her solo albums as well, so it was a pleasure to speak with Haines. 

I also contributed to SSv's new series Internal Debate about this album, so in case you don't want to take my word for it, check out what we at SSv thought of the album.  And you can pick up the album directy from the band, here.


1 comment:

Karen said...

Metric! Such a great band. I'm also enamored with Broken Social Scene. Nice interview!

www.reelartsy.com